Jefferson County is part of the Tallahassee, FL Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Located in the heart of “the other Florida,” the Florida of rolling hills and stately oaks draped in wispy Spanish moss. Situated in the state’s Panhandle, it is the only county that extends from Georgia on the north to the Gulf of Mexico on the south. Known as the “Keystone County,” it is approximately mid-way between Jacksonville, Florida’s northern-most Atlantic port and Pensacola, one of her largest Gulf ports. Monticello, the county’s seat of government, is just 23 miles east of Florida’s capital city of Tallahassee, and is fast becoming one of that thriving city’s favorite “bedroom communities.”
Jefferson County is located in the Florida panhandle, 25 miles east of Tallahassee. The population of 13,000 is predominately rural. Monticello, the county seat, has a population of about 3,000. Agriculture has been the traditional base of the economy, but the community is in transition. The county serves as a bedroom for Tallahassee, the state’s capital. Almost one half of the non-farm workforce commutes outside the county for employment, many to professional, academic, state government, service and trade jobs. In like manner, consumers in Jefferson County depend on Tallahassee and Thomasville, Georgia (20 miles north of Monticello) markets for hospitals and specialized health care, consumer durables, automobiles, sports and entertainment, and specialized retail purchases.
Forts of Jefferson County
Fort Roger Jones (1839), Aucilla (Ocilla Ferry), north of US 90.
Fort Noel (1839–1842), south of Lamont on the Aucilla River, six miles (10 km) northwest of Fort Pleasant in Taylor County. Also known as Fort Number Three.
Camp Carter (1838), near Waukeenah.
Fort Welaunee (1838), a settlers’ fort on the Welaunee Plantation near Wacissa. Fort Gamble (1839–1843) was later established here.
Fort Aucilla (1843), two miles (3 km) south-east of Fort Gamble, southwest of Lamont, between the Aucilla and Wacissa Rivers. Also spelled Ocilla.
Fort Wacissa (1838), a settlers’ fort located south of Wacissa on the Wacissa River, west of Cabbage Grove.